Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Nobody Likes When You're 23

Here we are. Another year older. Another year... wiser?

I guess you could say 22 was an tough age. I learned a lot about myself. A lot about love. A lot about life. 22 tested me in ways I never thought possible. It brought me new challenges. Made me more self-aware of my faults, my weaknesses, and where my confidence had begun to waiver.

I started my first big girl job and learned what it's like to only have a life on weekday evenings and weekends, which doesn't seem so bad until you add in the exhaustion that keeps you from wanting to do anything but sit at home. I moved into an apartment with my best friend and adopted two kitties, the greatest highlights for sure. I continued to work on my relationship and all of the responsibility that comes with being the center of someone's world.

I have realized so much about myself at 22. I realized I'm not the same girl I was in college. And I realized that, in some ways, I miss her. I miss being the girl who was unapologetically herself. The girl who didn't give a rats ass what anyone thought. Here I've been, beating myself up day in and day out for not being that same girl. For not being as skinny. As funny. As driven. Or as confident.

I've changed into someone who has little patience, little motivation, and little time for self-love. I've let things bring me down that shouldn't. I've let people influence me who shouldn't have a say. I've let my relationship and friendships at times go uncultivated and unappreciated. And I've let myself become so stuck in this rut that I didn't feel like I could find a way out.

But I'm ready for things to change. 

So here's to making 23 my year. Here's to making changes, taking chances, and not taking no for an answer. Here's to saying yes to more adventures. Here's to standing stronger and finding my inner "that girl" again. Here's to falling back in love with myself, so I can put my best foot forward back into life. Here's to putting myself first, and taking the relationships I know I love and need back into the forefront.

So maybe nobody likes when you're 23, but I'm going to make this my best year yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment