Thursday, July 2, 2015

Big Mouth

I can't tell you the number of times I have been asked the following questions...

"Do you realize how much you talk?"
"Do you hear how loud you are?"
"Do you ever shut up?"

Typically, after someone asks one of these I just sit there in silence - mostly because my chest sinks so deep in embarrassment that I find it hard enough to breathe, let alone speak. But after many years of hearing them and still suffering every time someone asks them - I'm finally answering. No, as a matter of fact, I don't. And to be quite honest, even if I did I would not reduce the amount or volume at which I speak just to please you.

Call me whatever name in the book you want. Hit me with that "your name suits you" and continue on your way. Try to rain on my verbal parade with "shut up" and "keep it down." And toss in a "do you ever stop talking" just for good measure. Go for it, I dare you. But no matter how many hurtful things you want to say to me about my talking, I'll still keep doing it.

When something bugs me, I speak up about it. When I have an opinion, I want it heard. When I think something is funny, I burst out in laughter. If you want to go through life constantly reducing who you are just because other people are intimidated, annoyed, or simply want you to be like them then go for it, but I won't. I will not minimize who I am to make others feel better about who they are.

If you're a talker like me - don't change. Don't let the people around you make you feel like your voice is too much just because they're probably paranoid that theirs will never be enough. And don't feel like you need to walk around with a constant filter. I am proud of myself for always being the one to tell it like it is, and if you were blessed with this talent then you should embrace it too. Be your loud, obnoxious, blunt self and don't apologize for it. Just don't be hurtful because then you're just like the people telling you to "shut up."

People won't ever silence me, no matter how badly they want it or how determined they are to do it. I have always been and will always be a big mouth. And to be quite honest, I wouldn't want to be anything else. My name is Gabby, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment