Tuesday, March 3, 2015

His World Doesn't Revolve Around Me

I used to think that I could expect a guy to call me every night, miss me every day, and literally drop the world for me. He needed to be there for me no matter what was going on in his life, no excuses. If he didn't do something I asked it was as if the world had ended. Truthfully, I think my expectations have lowered over the last few years, and obviously for good reason.

Sometimes I wish I could sit down with the girl I used to be and have a conversation with her. I'd tell her to pull her head out of her ass and realize she isn't the reason the sun shines in that boys life. I'd tell her that sometimes she needs to be her own hero, her own motivation, her own support system, and her own best friend. He isn't just someone to lean on, someone to control, or someone's lap upon which to lay your problems - he's in your life to enhance it not give it meaning because you were incapable of doing so on your own.

It's okay to want attention and affirmation. It's even okay to need it sometimes. The problems arise when you constantly expect it and sometimes without committing to doing the same for the other person. If you wouldn't do it for them, why should they do it for you? Relationships are all about give and take. You can't expect to be handed the world if you would only keep it for yourself.

So let some phone calls go unmade, some I miss you's left unsaid, and let his world be of his own control and creation. And when all is said and done, if you're still unhappy, let go and find someone who is willing and able to give you more of what you need. But don't expect the world unless you're willing to give it too because I can promise you that you'll be waiting for a long time. And remember: he can't be your other half until you've learned to be whole all on your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment