Thursday, March 19, 2015

Car Rides With Mom

I think I have been given some of the best advice sitting in the passenger seat of my mom's car. In one trip to Target I could end up saying all the things I needed to say and hearing all the things I needed to hear. None of which would be possible without my mom (and her car, of course).

My mom tells it like it is. She never beats around the bush and she never simply says things to fill the space in conversation. She makes every word count and she never hesitates to share the cold, hard truth. When I'm away at school I don't get these talks as often as I used to, so once in a while it's nice to come home and get a little dose of my favorite medicine - car rides with mom.

Today's advice I heard loud and clear. It's not like it was something I hadn't already heard or didn't already know, but hearing it in that car seemed to let the reality of it all sink in. I think we could all learn a thing or two from car rides with mom. 

Lesson number one. Don't let love be defined by the way you feel in a bedroom. When all is said and done, the person you grow old with has to be more than just someone you're physically attracted to. It needs to be the person who is going to be there to help you do all the things you can no longer do on your own. It needs to be someone who you're going to love even when neither of you can express it in the same way you did when you were young and crazy. 

Lesson number two. It's okay to be young and reckless sometimes, but be cautious of the damage it may cause along the way. Don't assume that just because you're the one in the driver's seat that you always have your best intentions at heart because you just might not be thinking all that clearly. Don't let the repercussions control you, but don't let the freedom ruin you. 

Lesson number three. Don't ever settle. Don't let someone make you believe that they love you "enough" because you will always deserve more than that. Someone should love you for more than what you have to offer, they should love you for all that you are. 

Lesson number four. You can't love anyone until you first love yourself. I know we've all heard this a million times, but when it comes directly from your mom's mouth it seems clearer than it's ever been. You can't possibly give yourself to someone if you haven't even taken the time to figure out who you are and what kind of love it is you need. 

The list of lessons could most definitely continue, and I don't think it's anywhere near complete. I think for as long as my mother is in my life her advice will continue to keep me going. I know I don't always listen to it (even though I probably should), but I do appreciate it. Sometimes you should just drop what you're doing and get in that passenger seat because one day when nothing is making sense you're really going to miss car rides with mom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment