Monday, February 2, 2015

Relationships Are Not Hobbies

Disclaimer: When you see the word relationship in this post I mean the full-on shebang, girlfriend/boyfriend relationship not that crap college kids think relationships are.

Would someone please explain to me the significance of committing to someone who you can't even see yourself being with in the future? Honestly, is that really how little you value your time? Don't get me wrong, it takes time to decide if someone is meant for you. It's not a decision that happens overnight. But for the people out there who continue to see someone even though they know full well that things will never work - I just don't get it.

I find it really sad that people these days are treating relationships like they're hobbies - only interested until a better option comes along. I will never understand why someone would agree to a relationship simply so they don't have to be alone. Why would I continue to commit myself to someone who I can't even picture my life with and waste time on them when I could be single and off finding the person that I should be with? 

You don't have to be in a relationship. And simply feeling lonely isn't reason enough to start or maintain a relationship with someone. For all you know that person could consider you part of their future and you can't even picture yourself with them next week. Is that really fair?

I think we need to stop being so selfish in this respect. Not many people enjoy the idea of spending life alone, but being in meaningless relationships is not the solution to loneliness. If anything, it's only going to make matters worse. You will constantly be letting people in and when each one leaves the empty space will grow. The void will never quite be filled until you stop trying to fill it and start listening to what you're heart actually wants and needs.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved for all the right reasons and with all the best intentions. We need to stop letting relationships become our crutch. If you don't know who you are or what you want, wasting time with someone else is never going to help you. So only invest in relationships with purpose and intent, otherwise let them go. 


No comments:

Post a Comment